Carvin V3

Carvin V3

Postby Spectre » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:08 am

I managed to finally get my hands on a Carvin V3 about two months ago. I haven't been able to do a full review yet, but did whip out a quick demo video just to try it out. Yes, my Legacy is still dead....lol. Haven't changed the output tranny or tubes yet since our move down to the lower 48. Still have a few other tube amps, but have wanted one of these monsters since they came out. I was lucky enough to find a KILLER deal locally on Craigslist. It's in perfect condition--like new!
I absolutely love the RGB LEDs. I also like being able to assign different colors to the three channels. Oh yeah--the boost kicks ass, too. The reverb is surprisingly nice.
Anyway, back to this video. I was pretty looped when I shot this. I had just returned home from one of my MANY doc appointments, and was on my pain meds. I even still had the damn bandage on my arm from the gallons of blood those vampires stole from me!!!!!
But--just hearing that amp made me feel better.
You know how it is when you get a new piece of gear........yeah! That cool NG feeling. For the past 2 years, I've been on an amp kick. You all know I've got more guitars that I need. I haven't picked up very many new ones, except for 2 Lynch guitars and that Shredneck unfinished kit Fred sent me to review--that's it.
I've instead, been after tube heads. Was really going after those killer little low-watt tube heads for awhile, but HAD to snag this Carvin V3 when I saw it.
Here's the quick demo video--I'll record and share an official "review" video when I have time.
For this demo, I used my Ibanez RG560PN--it's not the production model, but an Ibanez endorsee model made for Rikk Beatty. The only real differences from stock are: added purple mirrored pickguard/truss rod cover/back plates, DiMarzio MoeJoe and DiMarzio Pro Tracks.
I ran the guitar in dry for the first few minutes, then when I say, "Now I'll juice it a bit" I punched on my personally-modded MIJ Boss SD-1. Man, I LOVE that pedal--it's a TRUE Tube Screamer Killer!!!!!
Also gotta love the damn phone ringing in the middle of the demo...lol. But, I wasn't doing a review--just trying to unwind and settle down from a doc visit.....again.

Last edited by Spectre on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One half of the Pepper Bros Party Machine!
Spectre
ADM

Re: Carvin V3

Postby DamagedInTransit » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:00 am

Cool. I have the little 50w lunchbox version of that amp. It's pretty versatile. I bought it for portability. I have to say I don't really dig the sound very much through the stock Carvin 112 cab I got for it but through any of my marshall cabs (212, 412) it totally crushes.
"Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks..." -F. Gump. American entrepreneur, soldier, scholar, philosopher.
DamagedInTransit

Postby therightjem » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:15 am

I don't think you really needed the OD pedal, to be honest. Had enough gain for me on it's own. And I like the RG.
therightjem

Postby Spectre » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:30 am

therightjem wrote:I don't think you really needed the OD pedal, to be honest. Had enough gain for me on it's own. And I like the RG.

Yeah--this amp sounds great dry. I only used the OD to add a little extra ooomph....to hear the result.

Thanks for the nice comment on the guitar--it's quite special. I'm glad Rikk Beatty likes purple, too...lol.

Man, you should hear this beast with my modded Boss CS-2. Notes sustain for days! Also adds a bit of ambiance I can't quite put my finger on...but I like it.
Spectre
ADM

Postby therightjem » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:39 am

What's the clean channel sound like? I wouldn't mind hearing that with and without the OD.
therightjem

Postby Spectre » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:37 am

therightjem wrote:What's the clean channel sound like? I wouldn't mind hearing that with and without the OD.

Not the best guitar to use, but video is already recorded and posted. I had a hint of the amp's reverb dialed up, and I switched between clean and crunch channels.
Not too fond of the pickups, so they will be swapped soon.....

Spectre
ADM

Postby Treva » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:17 pm

I'm surrounded by net wackos :lol:
It sounds heavy, amplitube3 and podfarm have that model, it sounds heavy the same way but too damn middy, you have to scoop a lot to get a good tone, what about the real thing, is it too middy too?
I still see no mesa there pepperbro, I know I know you just don't wanna hurt my feelings making me watch you playing MY beloved boogies :lol:
"Continue to operate in an alternate universe all you want, I'll choose to operate in reality, and laugh at people like you." - Tampabro
Treva
ADM

Postby Spectre » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:16 pm

The only scoops I like these days--are of ice cream...lol.
I don't do the mid scoops anymore--but will for the full demo.
Spectre
ADM

Postby Treva » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:08 pm

;)
"Continue to operate in an alternate universe all you want, I'll choose to operate in reality, and laugh at people like you." - Tampabro
Treva
ADM

Postby Spectre » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Yep--great demo..and seen it a few times.
Really shows what the amp is capable of.

Keep in mind--mine is a quick "unwind from the dic visit" recorded on my phone.

Full demo will have mic'd cab and recorded through board.

Still love the flavors this monster has.
Spectre
ADM

Next

Return to Amps