Winter is here!

Winter is here!

Postby DamagedInTransit » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:04 pm

So I'm actually a decent driver. I'm thinking this is because I cheaped out on tires last time.

I was driving about 3 miles from a wedding to a reception last night. It was the first day we've actually had any snow/ice accumulation. (I've been driving this car for 12 years).

At 3 car lengths, I was presented with an immediate decision. I usually like to deliberate on things but alas, it was a limited time offer:

1) Hit the minivan in front of me, using it's superior mass to do what my wheels and brakes were not
2) Use the curb immediately to my left as a bumper to try and bleed off energy.

As it turns out, the ice was such that I didn't end up grazing the curb, but going up and over and then down the embankment. As soon as I tried to get the car moving again, I knew something was wrong. That something being cheap tires.

So 2 hours later with the wind and snow whipping up a freezing mess, the tow truck arrived. Needless to say, I missed the reception and have no doubt cemented my reputation as a snob. Unfortunately, it was a Saturday night so I won't hear anything back from the shop until Monday, but I'm hoping they can find me a used set of front tires. I'm just glad I had the presence of mind to act in a way that prevented harm to others.
"Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks..." -F. Gump. American entrepreneur, soldier, scholar, philosopher.
DamagedInTransit

Return to Cars & bikes